Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saying Goodbye...Again


I've taught at Thom Collegiate for 3 years now...great times, wonderful students (well, sometimes), amazing friends and a huge learning curve that has prepared me for more than I thought 3 years could. I said goodbye last year when my contract ended mid-May, but spent most of May and June there still subbing. I'm saying goodbye again this year as my contract ends on the last day of school and was not renewed for another. I'm not ready to say goodbye.

My students were finally on a roll. We had worked through a lot of difficulties as a class and I had actually come to love them. We were learning, exploring, developing...but that all began to happen in the last month. I need another month, then they'll be ready for grade 10.

I love the friends that I've made and I know that I'll still see them and hang out, but things will change, regardless, because I won't be there everyday. New students will come, new friends will be made, but I'll be on the outside looking in. That's not fun.

My time at Thom has challenged me in so many ways. I've taught a million different subjects - math, English, drama, food studies, housing, information processing, choir, vocal jazz - which isn't quite a million, but it sure felt like it when I was trying to prep the new classes, working to sometimes stay just one step ahead. I've dealt with students that can be difficult and challenging; students that are working so hard to excell; fought with students to make them want to excell and even seen some results. Those are the moments when I feel so proud as a teacher. Then there are the ones you fight for and fail to see results that make you feel like you could have done so much better. So many lessons...

So I say goodbye one more time, wondering what next fall will bring, what I'll be doing, wondering if it is possible to be back there one more time, only this time, not have to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment