Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Least Common Denominator

In math, I teach my students about the least common denominator. It's a way to compare fractions or simplify fractions, so that they are in a common form. Having them in the lowest common denominator makes the fractions the easiest to work with.

I don't know why math would make me think about myself, but for some reason, I learned a valuable lesson.

I always compare myself to the lowest common denominator. I want to lose some weight, but then I see someone else and think, "well, at least I'm thinner than they are". Or maybe it is qualities that I see in myself that I would like to change...but I compare them to someone who needs to work on those qualities even more than I do, and think that I'm just fine. Comparing to the LCD is easy, because then it requires less work on my part, just like in math.

What really needs to happen in my life is that I change myself to be like the greatest common factor- Christ. Becoming like the GCF is more work. If I want to be better in my life, I need to always be looking to Christ and to no one else. It means actually trying to change. He is the only way that I can be better than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment