Saturday, January 17, 2009

25 Things about Me

This was a note going around on Facebook, so I decided to give it a try. It actually took me quite a while to complete. It is hard to think up 25 things about yourself. As I got going, I could have put more than 25, but these were the ones that I thought best gave of glimpse of who I am.

So the instructions were: So you've gotta do this thing. 25 random facts about you.

1. I love music education...and if I ever have my own job (rather than filling in for someone else), I have a lot of things I'd like to try. Music is evolving constantly and yet remains the same in so many ways. Wouldn't that be neat to explore in a classroom filled with diversity?

2. I love choir. Yes, choir. I love to sing in a choir, but more so, I love to direct choirs. It doesn't even matter what kind of choir. I've done school choir, a men's choir, a small choir at church, a big choir at church...anything. I love choir music. I love the way composers use harmony and voice timbre to create a piece. It can be almost magical.

3. I love to play games. Board games, card games, word games...I'm especially fond of Life, Dutch Blitz and my new favourite called Bananagrams. I am not fond of UNO or Monopoly.

4. I like the insides of my cupboards to be organized. They are very neat. This means that if I don't have time to put things away, rather than just stuffing them in a cupboard, I leave them on the counter. Messy on the outside, clean on the inside :)

5. I sing - all the time. Sometimes just in my head, sometimes out loud, but there is always a song. Sometimes I tap my foot to the song in my head. It just happens.

6. I'm shy. I know you find this hard to believe, but that's because if you are reading this you know me. If you don't know me, I find it hard to communicate. It isn't that I don't want to, it's just that I can't think of a good way to engage you in conversation. I'm not good at surface level.

7. I am not crafty. Not that Amber hasn't tried, but I just can't do it. I have completed 2 scrapbooks in my lifetime and then I gave all the stuff I had leftover to my friend. That was enough for me.

8. I love Chai Tea. I don't drink coffee but a Chai Tea with a splash of milk and a bit of sugar just hits the spot. I also love London Fogs, but only if they are from Stone's Throw. They make the best London Fogs.

9. I don't drink coffee. I don't like Coffee Crisps or coffee cake or chocolate covered coffee. I don't even really like the smell of coffee - although the flavoured stuff does have a slightly more pleasant aroma. I don't own a coffee pot. When my mom comes to visit, she drinks instant coffee or goes to Tim Horton's. I am a bad daughter :).

10. I have prepped for a new class every semester since I started teaching. At the beginning, it drives me crazy, but I always learn something new. I probably learn more than my students do. In my 3 years of teaching, I have taught the following: food studies 30, home arts 9, math 9, math 10, english 9, drama 10, drama 20/30, Housing/Interior Design, Information processing, choir, vocal jazz, music 9, Art 20, Entreprenership 30

11. I speak French. I used to speak it better than I do now, but I can still do it if I put my mind to it.

12. I've been to Romania twice. I really like it there and don't know when I'll get to go back, but hopefully someday.

13. I'm stealing this from Amber...I've had the same best friend since I was nine. We live farther away from each other now than we ever have and we've never lived in the same place.

14. I like food. Only certain kinds of food, but the kind I like, I like a lot!

15. I like sharing the office at school with Gail. This is the second time we've been able to be music colleagues and we get along so well. Sometimes we don't get a lot of work done, because we are friends too!

16. I'm not very domestic. I don't bake (I can, but I don't love it), I'm not a great cook and I'd rather be busy doing something else then cleaning. I'm sure there is a friend to go out with, marking to do, movies to watch...anything. I do however keep my bathroom clean.

17. I like musicals. I've only ever acted in one, but it was so fun. I like to watch musicals and I like the music (most of the time).

18. I have nice nails. I know, weird, but I do. They are real, not fake. They grow nice all on their own.

19. I like shoes. I have a lot of shoes. I've been downsizing but I still have a lot. Sometimes I go to the shoe section just to try shoes on for fun. I try on the ugly ones too.

20. I love to read. I like to own the books I read because I will read them again and again and again. I worked at Chapters over the Christmas season and really discovered a love for non-fiction, especially biographical works or true stories written with a fiction quality.

21. I love my family. I get along with my parents. My sister and I have a great relationship. We didn't always, but now that we are adults, I'm glad we are friends. I have a great brother-in-law and the sweetest neices and nephew in the world. Alexa is my girl.

22. I have a pig collection. I have stuffed pigs and pig figurines. My favourite pigs are called "This Little Piggy". The line was discontinued, but every once in a while I find a good one on e-bay.

23. I love my church. I have been going to Harvest City Church for just over two years and I love it there. My pastor is a great man of God and the congregation is very warm and friendly. I have made great friends there that I love a lot.

24. I drive a standard. When I bought my car a year ago, I said I would only buy a standard - and I did. It makes me feel like I'm in control.

25. I own my own home. I love it. I like decorating to a way that makes me feel at home. I think my house is very warm and cozy. It's little but it's the perfect size for me. I've discovered that I really like having flowers and mowing the lawn. I don't like shovelling, but if that's my only complaint, then I think I have it pretty good.

Phew...that was hard. Done and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment