Monday, January 5, 2009

Discovering Godly Wisdom

I have been in the midst of some pretty major decisions and I've been struggling so much with what to do. I made an appointment to speak with my pastor and I'm so glad that I did. I'm thankful that Pastor Dave has an open door and that he doesn't mind questions from a confused mind. I came away from our discussion with hope and peace. I don't want to forget what he said, so I'm writing them down in hopes that when I need a reminder, I'll be able to sit down and read through it. So, here it is in a nutshell...

1) We cannot force God to speak. God will speak to us when he sees we are ready and in that moment, we will know. It doesn't matter how much I ask him to speak to me about the situation, he will when I am at a point where I can receive it.

2) God is the apprehender, we are the apprehended. If we are willing to allow God to take control, he will. All he asks for is a willing heart.

3) Don't try to pry open the door. There is no grace on the other side. When God opens a door, then we can walk through knowing that his power goes before. However, when we force the door open, we are walking through it alone.

4) If you feel like you are thrashing, then God hasn't spoken. I said to Pastor Dave that I feel as though I am tangled in my bedsheets. He said that's a pretty good sign.

5) Pros and cons won't aid in the decision making. Sometimes when God calls us somewhere, there are more cons than pros. If we choose to make a decision based on that, we will miss the call. God's call isn't always easy, but it is always right.

6) There will be an identifiable moment when God's voice is heard. You will know with certainty that God has said yes or God has said no. No questions asked. The heart will tell the mind.

7) God will give us wisdom if we ask for it...HOWEVER, we have to believe that he will give us the wisdom, otherwise we are praying without receiving. Pastor Dave used James 1:5-7 as his reference. It says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord". Wow. That's intense. That is where praying with faith and expectations comes into play.

8) If you feel on shaky ground, then don't move. Any type of change requires solid footing, so if you already feel off balance, the best place to stay is where you are.

9) This is pulled directly from Pastor Dave's sermon on Sunday...I guess I do listen in church :). Rejoice in the victory, even before the victory is won. Pray believing that God will answer and then rejoice in that answer, even though you don't know it yet. His example from Sunday was Joshua and the battle of Jericho. Joshua marched around the wall and then with a victory shout and the blowing of celebration horns, the battle was won. It was in the rejoicing and not in the fighting where the battle was finished.

That's a lot for a one hour conversation! There are probably more words I could write, but that's a pretty good start. I'm am so grateful for leadership that is so grounded and wise. I know that God has placed me here for a reason. When I look back on these times, I will know that he was walking with me, giving me people to lean on, talk to, and grow with. I'm so thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Amen.

    ps - I am copying this for my blog entry. I needed it just as much.

    ReplyDelete