Monday, April 4, 2011

The Greatness of our God

We sang this song at church yesterday (my favourite version is by "One Sonic Society" should you care to youtube it).  The lyrics to the chorus are:

No sky contains
No doubt restrains all you are
The greatness of our God
I spend my life to know
And I'm far from close to all you are
The greatness of our God

It struck me while we were singing that it doesn't matter if we doubt God.  If we doubt him, it doesn't change his greatness.  God's greatness is not dependent on me.  His greatness simply is.  My small recognition of his greatness doesn't change it either.  I may never fully understand how truly great God is, but that doesn't change the fact that he is simply full of greatness.  

I will spend my life trying to know of his greatness and each glimpse of it will draw me that much closer, but I will never be able to fully recognize it on this earth.  And you know what?  That's alright.  I'm learning to simply trust in his greatness.  If he is greater than I can ever know, then he is greater than anything I may struggle with.  It's not scary to not know God's greatness, it is freeing, peaceful.  How wonderful that my God is greater than me.  God is greater than what I know, he's greater than what I don't know.  It's not about finding my greatness - it's about resting in his.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I hate spiders so much that I couldn't even comment on your next post and went back one! Can you send me hsmith@meisoc.com, your email address?

    Heather

    ReplyDelete