Monday, September 15, 2008

Burning with Passion

Once again, Pastor Dave's sermon set me on a thinking spree. His message yesterday was on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It was water baptism Sunday, which is pretty special. But as Pastor Dave pointed out, it is something that happens in the natural. Baptism in the Spirit happens in the supernatural.

He talked a lot about the fire of God. First he talked about that first day of Pentecost when the fire fell. He said to imagine not little spots of fire, but the people being completely consumed by the fire of God. Then he went on to talk about Shadrack, Meshack and Abendigo. Why weren't they consumed when Nebuchadnezzar threw them into the fire? Why were they able to walk around the furnace and not be burnt? Because they were already on fire - they were on fire for the Lord. You can't burn something that is already burning. Talk about a revelation.

Too often we stand on the outside and watch everyone else be consumed by the fire of God. But we only watch from a distance instead of walking right in. I know I hold myself back. I'm afraid that if I let myself be totally consumed by God that he will ask crazy things of me...and you know what? He just might. But if I am being totally consumed by his presence, then that won't really be an issue. If he totally consumes me, then I will totally trust in his sovereignty and the things he asks me to do won't seem so scary.


Overwhelm me with your presence
Consume me with your fire
Make me fall down on my knees in holy fear
Lord, draw me close
Lord, hold me near
I want more
Than just a glimpse of your glory

No comments:

Post a Comment