Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Responsibility of Privilege

I have been reminded lately of what a privileged life I live. It seems to be coming at me faster than I can keep up. I have been feeling restless and unsure of what I'm doing. I feel as though change is imminent, but I just don't know in what capacity.

I've been reading some different books and just in general have had some different experiences lately that keep bringing to the fore of my mind all that I have. I don't know why, but I've been interested in reading books about Afghanistan and Pakistan. Most of them are books about the Muslim women and the oppression they face daily. I also was very challenged by the World Vision "One Life Experience" tent that was set up in Regina. A book was recommended to me, so I went a bought it. It is called "Stolen Angels" by Kathy Cook and it is about 30 girls from Uganda who were kidnapped for the LRA rebel army. If you want to learn about the privileged life you lead, all you have to do is take a look at the injustices that goes on in the world around us.

David and I went out for a coffee and he asked me a couple very pointed questions - What are you passionate about? I said teaching....Do you want to go overseas? I said yes...Do you want to teach overseas? Yes. No hesitation when he asked...but then I get home and start thinking and looking. Can I walk away from all the privilege I have? Will I be like the rich young ruler and say no to the Lord because I am unwilling to walk away from the treasure I have stored up on earth?

I took stock of all I own and wondered at my prize possessions. I have decided that the hardest things to leave behind would be my piano and my books. I can take my pictures anywhere...a piano doesn't fit on a plane. I wouldn't be sad to sell my house...it's just a house, I can buy another and paint it the same colours and put out all the "things" I own and it will be a home...

The Bible says that to whom much is given, much is expected. I have been given a lot, but I don't tend to give back. I seem to hoard it for myself. Maybe he isn't asking me to walk away from the life I live here but to be more conscious of what I do with the gifts he gives. Am I doing all I can to give of what I have or do I only want it to be about me? It's not about me. It's about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment