Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Art, Entrepreneurship and Me

I am a music teacher. I rarely say to people that I am a teacher. I always qualify the statement...music teacher...

For some reason, the music teacher is teaching Art 20 and Entrepreneurship 30 this semester. Why, you may ask? Because someone seems to think that because I have an education degree that I must be able to teach whatever they throw my way. And I have.

This is my most stressful semester yet. I thought that Art 20 would be the simpler of the two because my friend is the art teacher and has given me a good plan for the semester and the resources that I'll need to get through. But it isn't. The students know that I am not an art teacher and they question my authority. When I say that they aren't doing the technique correctly, they question how I know. It is a matter of knowing the concept, but not being able to do it. It's like parallel parking...I know the idea of it, but I can't do it. Not properly, anyway.

I still know more than the students do in Entrepreneurship. The curriculum, although slightly confusing, is fairly well laid out and with time and patience, I can figure it out.

We are only in week 2. I have 5 more months of this. I hope I make it. I hope the students make it.

Oy Vey!

2 comments: