Friday, June 10, 2011

Saying Goodbye

My Grandpa died today.  It happened sooner than I thought it would, but it wasn't a surprise either.  It doesn't make it any easier.  I was always Grandpa's girl and this feels like an awfully big hole in my heart.  My Grandma died when I was 12 and although it was hard, I wasn't really old enough to truly understand but now I am.

My Grandpa was a grumpy man, but in his heart he was a teddy bear.  My memories of my Grandpa are sweet.  I have pictures of me with him as a baby, sleeping on his chest.  I must have trusted him from the start.  I remember coming for a week in the summers to hang out with him and Grandma.  Those were such fun weeks and I'm pretty sure I was spoiled beyond belief.  I remember driving around in Grandpa's old cars and squishing into the back of the cruck (or an el camino as it is actually called).  One time, Grandpa and I took a road trip to Flin Flon, MB to see my auntie, uncle and cousins.  I remember we got lost coming home and somehow ended up on a dirt road outside of Regina.  He didn't think it was funny!

I always knew my Grandpa was proud of me, even when he thought I was crazy for doing what I did.  He kept my picture proudly displayed on his fridge and always said that he loved me whenever I came to visit.

It will be strange to come home and not have him here.  I will miss him.

I know my Grandpa loved me and I hope he knew how much I loved him.

My Gramps

2 comments:

  1. Oh Stacy, do I relate... Your musings really reminded me of my own grandpa... this summer is 3 years since he passed and I remember the shock and the reality of that loss, even though we had been expecting it for years... I love you and my heart hurts for your loss.
    with love,
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to hear about your grandpa stacy.. you're right, knowing it will happen doesn't make it easier. cool that you have such lovely memories though. hugs, erin

    ReplyDelete