Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Mix of Emotions

The last three days have brought such a mix of emotions. I have loved being the music teacher - even though I'm teaching band! I had so much fun being able to use my passion for music and for teaching. But with those emotions has come so much longing for my ACC family and my children. It is hard to be settling in at home and feeling comfortable but then missing the time on the road so much it makes my heart hurt. The last 5 and 1/2 days in the classroom have reminded me why I love teaching. I've found that I'm a stronger teacher now than I was before because I feel much more confident with people I don't know, I feel much more adept with handling the students after being with my children for the last 16 months.

The really hard part that I'm finding about substitute teaching is that you don't really develop relationships. I miss the other chaperones so much. I miss the ability to discuss the day with people who understand how the day went, I miss the jokes, I miss the familiarity. I miss the relationships that I had with my kids. I think of my former students, how much I miss interacting with them which makes me miss my choir kiddos.

I learned so much being tour leader and it really is amazing how it has impacted being a teacher. I'm so grateful for the ACC experience and even though I'm missing it, I am glad to be doing the other thing that I love.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you too Stacy. I always thought I'd be able to pick up and leave my friends at any given time without thinking it would even hurt me. Now as I'm away from you and the others I feel the distance. I miss being face to face with you and sharing a friendship. Long distance relationships aren't my favorite. :(

    ReplyDelete