Thursday, January 27, 2011

This looks a lot like peace...

I got a job today.  It's wonderful...or it will be when I start this job I got today.  It's a part-time choral position at Riffel High School.  I've had a few other job offers and another job I could have interviewed for, but none of them fit quite right.  None of them gave me the passion for teaching that I have when I think about this job.

See, here's the thing - I absolutely LOVE teaching choir.  When I stand before the students in rehearsals or for a concert, I absolutely love what I do.  I feel passionate about seeing them succeed, learning to be better musicians, finding that little part of their heart that connects with a song, or bringing out new emotions through the music.  Sometimes rehearsals are hard...sometimes the students don't put in the effort...sometimes they simply sound awful...but I still love it.

I spent a lot of time talking with Jesus about jobs.  I've had a few jobs in my day - a few that I was passionate about but many that I simply did to have a pay cheque.  In my time with Jesus, I realized that I don't need to just have a job to have a job.  He's never let me go without before and I don't think he is going to start now.  God gives us talents for a reason and I need to use them.  When I worked the other jobs, I simply felt unfulfilled.  I wasn't exactly passionate about teaching students how to make puffed pastry...

This job won't seem ideal to everyone.  I'm only guaranteed 50%, but I'll be happy with that 50%, I'll be passionate in those classes.  When God gives me peace, I know the decision was right.  I know that even if it doesn't seem like the most popular choice, that God will bless me for being obedient, for allowing him to use my talents.

This looks a lot like peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment