Thursday, December 19, 2013

I Love Airports

I love airports - no really, I do.  I love going to pick people up and I love being the one greeted both going and coming, but that's not what makes me love them most.

I love the energy and emotion that an airport has.  It is almost tangible.  Excitement, nerves, pain, love, joy, frustration, happiness - all mixed into one place.  I love watching people at the airport - especially a large airport like Chicago or Newark (clarification - I don't like the Newark airport, but I do like people watching there). 

Airports can be so frustrating.  They are an exercise in self-control and integrity.  They can also be a place of great adventure - just think, you are getting on a plane and going thousands of kilometres and you barely have to do anything (except maybe sprint to catch a connection because you've been delayed, but that little bit of exercise never hurt anyone).  I've had my share of delays, lost luggage, cancelled planes and cranky flight attendants, but the joy that simply being at the airport brings me is worth all that - especially when you know that at the end of the flight there is a grand adventure, a wonderful friend, and a new place to explore.  I love that whether you are the passenger or the host that you contribute to the energy of the airport. 

I remember my first flight as I made my way to Quebec, barely a graduate from high school and embarking on my first adventure.  I remember coming home and crying the minute I saw my mom.  I remember the relief I felt when I arrived in Vienna and saw my checked baggage on the carousel.  I remember saying goodbye to the Aunties of Choir 35 in Washington, DC.  Our tears made the energy of that airport somber for a brief moment amidst all the bustle.  I remember Alesha picking me up the first time I went to Michigan to visit and our excitement made the airport come alive.  I remember the frustration of sitting on a plane in Chicago bound for Africa and the sorrow that came from that cancelled flight. I'm grateful for the joy of meeting a friend at home whom I hadn't seen in so long and loving the sight of her coming down the steps.  I'm glad I have the memories of meeting my grandma at the airport and her excitement to be in the freezing cold for Christmas because it meant being with us.

I can't wait for next airport adventure. It might be a long journey or a short one, but I know I'll enjoy it simply because it will be at the airport :)

No comments:

Post a Comment