Monday, August 11, 2008

Affection and the Single Gal

You are going to start to notice a theme...singleness has been on my mind a while and I'm taking time to finally stop and figure things out.

There is not a doubt in my mind that my love language is touch. I am a very affectionate person. It is such a natural action for me to grasp an arm, give a hug, lean my head or any number of other affectionate gestures that sometimes I don't realize I do it.

Now, having the love language of touch is not necessarily a bad thing, but the difficult part is when you are a single girl who often can go days without anything. Not even a single handshake, let alone a hug.

I live alone, my summer job doesn't really lend itself to any sort of interaction (the cars I take pictures of don't tend to want to give me a hug...) and I start to feel deprived. As a kid, I was always the one to crawl up into my grandpa's lap for a snuggle or to hug my mom around the waist while she was cooking in the kitchen. I never grew out of that.

I will admit it is the one thing I miss most about the only romantic relationship I've ever been in. I don't regret that that relationship ended...I only miss that fact that he too was a cuddle-er. There was nothing better then curling up to watch a movie and knowing that I'd be enclosed in a hug the whole time.

This weekend I dog-sat and although the dogs are labs, they think they are lap dogs. They would curl up on the couch with me, one on either side and look at me with the sweetest eyes as though I was the best person in the whole world...in their minds, I probably was...I fed them! I started to realize that I'm looking for affection in any way...even in a dog. How sad is that??

Ah well...I think I'm gonna get myself a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment