Friday, March 11, 2011

A game of skill

I love to watch curling.  I get mocked for this sometimes, but I don't care.  At least these players don't hit each other all the time.  I love the skill and patience that curling takes.  Perfect placement of rocks, big weight take-outs and quiet tap-backs. I think it is amazing how the front end can call out the weight of a rock, predicting where it will stop in the rings, or manipulating the path of the rock by wearing down the pebbles on the ice. 

It is a lot harder than it looks.  I wish I had kept up with it after high school.  I miss being out on the ice.  The Brier is on this week and my favourite team is in the playoffs.  Glenn Howard is a great skip and if he wins, it means he'll be at the World Championships which are being held here in Regina and for which I will be a volunteer.  That means, I could watch his games live :).  Sweet.

Maybe next year, I'll dust off my curling shoes, take the cobwebs off my broom and get back out there.  Hopefully, I won't fall on my butt!  HA!

1 comment:

  1. Oh - I should have invited you to our Pep Rally today. Team Canada came to greet us (since Heather teaches with us.)

    ReplyDelete