Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gilbert

I love Anne of Green Gables - always have. I read the books as a little girl and own the movies. On Boxing Day, I realized how long it had been since I watched them, so I watched both the original and the sequel. I love everything about the story - the imagination, the challenges, the romance, the realness. I love Marilla and her steady, unhurried character. I love Matthew and his quiet, tender strength. I love Diana and her committed, unwavering friendship.

As I watched the movie this time, I thought about LM Montgomery and I wondered how she came up with Gilbert's character. I love Gilbert (who is played by Jonathan Crombie) and I wondered if he was modeled after Lucy's sweetheart, her dream man or if she simply knew what a woman wanted in a man. I think I know some reasons why Gilbert tends to be a favourite. First of all, he pursues Anne without smothering her. In her stubbornness, it takes her a while to figure it out, but she does eventually. He's there for her when she needs him, but also steps back when she needs her space. Secondly, he is honest with her. He doesn't let her prickles stop him from speaking his mind. His honesty might hurt, but it doesn't stop him from saying it, knowing that it is truth. Thirdly, he is willing to be alone, rather than to hurt someone else. We find out part way through, that Gilbert is engaged to Emily but he calls off the engagement when he realizes that he'll never love her the way he loves Anne. A man of integrity. Lastly, he is funny, strong, encouraging and romantic.

What's not to love? :)

3 comments:

  1. Yes Yes Yes....but did you notice it took a hard hit to the head with a slate before he had some sense knocked into him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True...but what 15 year old doesn't need a slate over the head? Forget laptops in schools, I say we go back to blackboard slates :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEED a blackboard slate. Seriously, I could use it for many lessons as well as many hits in the head... ;)

    ReplyDelete