Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 13 - November 23

Life is a dance. Up, down, side to side.

Today, I danced with Ruth. We fell over, but we got back up again. Life is about dancing, even when you don't know the steps, even when you trip on your own feet or on someone else's.

Today, I hugged Reagan about 30 times. At least 20 of them were because he hugged me. And in those hugs, we danced. He stepped on my toes. I banged his head. It probably looked like a terrible dance to the world around me, but in my mind, it was the most beautiful dance of the day - maybe the year.

Today, I danced with Deborah. Our dance wasn't one of motion, but of laughter. She makes me laugh everyday. I will miss that part of our dance.

Today, I learned a little bit more about communication. It's a dance of words. Good communication is like a beautiful waltz - flowing and gentle, with ups and downs, turns and spins, tight holds and gentle releases. Bad communication is like a sporadic tango. Jagged edges, rough movements, pushing and pulling, and ending with a conquering spirit instead of a peaceful one.

Today, I discovered that I can be strong and emotional all at the same time. Strength doesn't live in hardness, but in a softness that can be molded and formed, humbled and built up. Strength lives in a spirit that is quiet before the Lord and is at peace.

1 comment: